An Introduction to Leonardo's Notebook

Which group of ancient people do you think lived in these mysterious caves?

WELCOME TO 6TH GRADE HISTORY!

I am very excited to get to know each of you. I think we are going to have an excellent year, learning about the world and its fascinating history.

Do you know who this is?

Our class blog is called Leonardo's Notebook.

The blog is named in honor of Leonardo da Vinci, who was immensely curious about the world. Throughout his life, he kept a series of notebooks in which he wrote down the questions that arose in his mind.

Leonardo believed that keeping these notebooks, as a record of his questions and ideas, would enable him to think creatively about possible answers. He also believed that the process of asking questions brings meaning to a person's life.

This blog will serve as a 21st century, digital version of Leonardo's Notebook -- for our class!

OK MR. RICHMOND, BUT WHAT ARE THE SPECIFIC WAYS THAT OUR CLASS WILL USE THE BLOG?

First: I love photographs. I love maps. And I really love art. I will post photos, maps, and artwork from class on the blog. Some of this beautiful visual material will be created by you.

Second: I will post class materials on the blog, including the weekly history videos.

Third: Our class will focus on the following five themes:
  • The importance of asking questions 
  • The influence of technology on human life (for better and for worse) 
  • The central role of religion and belief in history 
  • Questions related to leadership, with a focus on different styles and methods of being a leader
  • The centrality of art, music, and architecture to the human experience 
On the blog, we will be able to keep track of the ways in which these five themes are interwoven through different periods of history.

Fourth: Most importantly, the blog will feature your questions and your ideas. In the same way that Leonardo da Vinci wrote down his thoughts and questions so that he could reflect on them later, we will use the blog as a way of thinking more deeply about your questions.

This painting shows a group of ancient hunter gatherers.
Study the painting carefully. What do you notice about the people and their surroundings? 

Irrigation ditches were an important ancient technology. 
How could ditches have made people's lives easier?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quiz Review

History Video #11: Breaking News // Comparative Paragraph Highlights

Johann Gutenberg: Did He Tweet, Too?!