A Wonderful Piece of Narrative Writing
I have been meaning to share an exceptional piece of narrative writing from our Battle of the Ancient Civilizations project.
As you read through this excerpt from Meg's story about Queen Hatshepsut, I encourage you to notice her vivid descriptions and beautifully crafted sentences...
Trusted
By Meg
What seemed like all the female servants in the kingdom scurried around me. They pulled at my hair, kohl accented my eyes, and the finest linens and robes were draped across my body. Studded bands, anklets, and bracelets circled my limbs and the Queen’s Diadem perched gracefully on my hair, soon to be replaced by the Pharaoh’s Crown. My gaze drifted across the dressing room walls. Any inch that was not covered in decorative tapestries was crowded with symbols of beauty and power.
The engravings meant nothing to me, for I did not need the assurance of faceless words to tell me that I was worthy of everything coming. I mentally steeled myself. I was Hatshepsut, daughter of Pharaoh Tuthmosis I and Queen Ahmose, widow of the late Pharaoh Tuthmosis II. I had noticed and studied the faults of those who came before me, I had witnessed firsthand the wants and needs of the people. Unbeknownst to everyone involved, my whole life had been leading up to this very moment when I, Queen Hatshepsut, would become Pharaoh of the Egyptian Empire.
When I was done being dressed in all the kingdoms finest, I couldn't get rid of the servants fast enough. I am a woman of solitude and calculation, I have never been one to tolerate unnecessary company, and though others may want companionship to still nerves at such a precious time, I am not others. Amen-Ra created me from a different mold.
I am a symbol of the time to come, a time of peace and prosperity. I will oversee the rise of Egypt, I will lead my nation to greatness, and I will not fail my sacred duty. I must succeed, for I cannot afford to fail. After I have done these things and when the time is right, I will join my ancestors in heaven above and protect Egypt as a goddess from the skies. For this, I’m sure, is why I was created.
“My Queen.” Sitre, my caretaker since I was born, and someone in another life I might have considered a trusted friend, tentatively approached me.
“Sitre.” I acknowledged.” Why are you still here? You are not superior to my orders.” I must admit, my voice had been colder than necessary, though I think it can be forgiven.
“I’m sorry my Queen.” Her voice held no remorse and she did not draw back, for she of all people knows when I am truly angered.“I just-,” She cocked her head and studied me, drawing some sort of conclusion from my facial expression.
“I think, - I think you're scared.” She finished incredulously, for since birth I have never shown a sign of fear to anyone. In my world, fear is equated to weakness, and I am not weak...



Comments
Post a Comment